- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 15 minutes
- Difficulty Level: **
- 1kg mussels (black mussels preferred)
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped ginger
- 2 spring onions (scallions), finely chopped
- 1 red chilli, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Shaoxing rice wine
- 1 tablespoon salted, fermented black beans, rinsed and mashed
- 2 tablespoons chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
How to Cook
Scrub the mussels, remove any beards, and throw away any that do not close when tapped on the work surface.
Place the mussels in a large dish in a steamer. Steam over boiled water in a covered wok for 4 minutes, discarding any that do not open after this time.
Meanwhile, heat the oil in a small saucepan. Add the garlic, ginger, spring onions and chilli and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add the remaining ingredients, and blend well.
Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 1 minute.
To serve, remove and discard the top shell of each mussel, pour 2 teaspoons of the sauce into each mussel and serve on the shell.