- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 50 minutes
- Difficulty Level: ***
- Serves 2
- 25g butter 25g
- 400g onions (2cups), finely sliced 400g
- 1 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 20g plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1 litre (4cups) chicken stock
- 125ml white wine
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig of thyme
- 6 slices of stale bread (baguette)
- 50g grated Gruyere cheese (finely grated)
How to Cook
Melt butter into heavy pot and add onions. Leave with lid off and cook over a low heat for about 25 minutes, stirring occassionaly. When onions are a deep golden brown or when caramalised it is ready for next step.
Add the garlic and flour to the pot and stir continuously for two minutes.
Slowly add the chicken stock, wine and stir continously until boiling.
Add bay lef and thyme. Cover pot and simmer for another 25 minutes. Remove bay leaf and thyme sprig. Turn on the grill.
Toast the bread (baguette), then put the pieces into the bowls evenly.
Ladle the soup on top. Sprinkle the cheese on top and place the bowls under the grill until the cheese melts turns golden. Serve straight away.