Note: The source of this recipe I believe is the Colombia Restaurant in Ybor City (Tampa) Florida. My mother used to make this soup and she got it from family living in Tampa.
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 6 hours
- Difficulty Level: ***
- Serves 4
- 250 gm uncooked garbanzo (chickpea) beans, dried
- 1 ham bone
- 1 beef bone (can be left out)
- 2 liters of water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 125 gm salt pork, cut in thin strips
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1-2 chorizo (Spanish sausage), sliced
- 2 potatoes, peeled and cut in quarters
- Pinch of saffron
- ½ teaspoon paprika
How to Cook
Wash the beans and soak over night in salted water.
Drain the water and place in a slow cooker with 2 liters of water.
Add the beef and ham bones and cook on low for 5 hours. Skim any foam which might form on top.
Put the salted pork into a pan and fry lightly. Add in the chopped onions and saute until onion is clear.
Add the pork and onions to the beans along with chopped potato, paprika and saffron.
Cook on medium heat in slow cooker until potato is tender.
Add the chopped chorizo and leave to heat through.