- Serves: 4
- Preparation time: 30 minutes
- Cooking time: 90 minutes
- Difficulty Level: ***
- spaghetti (number 3) 300 grams
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 75 ml olive oil
- 200 gm premium grade beef mince
- 400 gm mushrooms, sliced
- 1 can (400 gm) whole tomatoes
- 1 can (400 gm) tomato puree
- 1 can (140 gm) tomato paste
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon basil (or several fresh basil leaves, torn into pieces)
- 2 bay leaves
- Splash of rice vinegar
- salt and pepper
- grated parmesan cheese
How to Cook
Add oil to pot and heat.
Add the onions and garlic, cook until onion is clear and softened.
Add the minced beef and cook until browned. Break up beef with wooden spoon into small pieces.
Add the wine. Bring to boil and reduce by a third.
Reduce heat to simmer. Add and stir in the tomatoes (whole tomato, puree and paste), mushrooms, bay leaves, thyme, vinegar, salt and pepper. Leave to simmer for 90 minutes, stirring occassionly. Add the basil towards the end of the cooking time, stir into the sauce.
When sauce has finished cooking, remove from heat to allow to settle and cook the spaghetti by adding it to a pot of boiling salted water.
When spaghetti is cooked (see packet for instructions, usually takes about 10 minutes), drain and divide amongst warmed plates.
Ladle sauce onto spaghetti and sprinkle a small amount of parmesan cheese on top.